Copies of the following agreement are in the shop for new volunteers to sign. More copies can be made using the PDF version.
Davis Bike Collective Conditions of Volunteer Service
As a volunteer with the Davis Bike Collective, you are expected to act in the best interests of the organization, and positively support its role in the community. In a cooperatively run organization, it is imperative that each of us abide by a code of conduct: respecting others, honoring the safe space of the Collective, accepting of feedback, and giving our time and energy in a way that promotes the mission of the Collective. All volunteers must sign the acknowledgement form below after reading and agreeing to abide by the Davis Bike Collective Code of Conduct – Safer Space Agreement.
Your volunteer status at the Davis Bike Collective is voluntary one and is subject to termination by you or the Davis Bike Collective Ministry at will, with or without cause, at any time.
The Davis Bike Collective is an at-will agency and has the right to terminate a volunteer without cause, but will always consider the cause leading to the termination. In general, failure to adhere to policies of the Davis Bike Collective is cause for immediate dismissal.
Grounds for immediate dismissal may include, but are not limited to:
- Theft of property or misuse of agency funds, equipment, or materials.
- Illegal, violent, or unsafe acts.
- Abuse or mistreatment of patrons or volunteers.
- Unwillingness to support and further the mission of the organization.
Davis Bike Collective Volunteer Code of Conduct – Safer Space Agreement
The Davis Bike Collective is committed to creating a friendly, safe environment open to all community members. The Davis Bike Collective is a cooperative space that is accepting and inclusive of every race, economic class, religion, nationality, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, ability, etc. All who enter the Bike Collective must abide by the Code of Conduct – Safer Space Agreement (“Agreement”) below. New volunteers must sign the acknowledgement form before their first day of volunteer work, and any existing volunteers (those who have served before August 2017) must sign the form before their next day of volunteer service.
- I understand that use of the tools is under supervision of a lead shift mechanic or manager.
- Access to certain tools may be restricted at their discretion.
- I understand that animals are allowed in the shop while under the immediate physical control of their owner.
- I understand that volunteers are expected to be supporting the mission of the Davis Bike Collective during normal shift hours. Working on one’s own bike is only allowed during designated volunteer shop days, and, occasionally, at the discretion of the shift manager. Please indicate to the shift manager if the purpose of your visit is to volunteer or work on your own bike. Volunteers guided by selfish motives (e.g. those spending the majority of their time at the Collective working on personal projects) will be asked to leave, and/or their volunteer privileges may be removed.
- I will not be intoxicated, or drink alcohol if under the age of 21.
- I will not deal, use, or be under the influence of hard drugs.
- I commit to mutual respect, mutual aid, anti-oppression advocacy, conflict resolution, anti-violence, and community building.
- I will conduct myself in a peaceful and trustworthy manner.
- I will respect everyone’s names, preferred gender pronouns, expressed identities and experiences.
- I will respect personal boundaries and consent.
- I share responsibility for who and what I bring into the Davis Bike Collective.
- I will not endanger the space or anyone in it.
- I will not use words or actions that support oppression.
- I will attempt to educate and guide patrons in their repairs and not do the work for them.
- I will not be racist, sexist, homophobic, or transphobic.
- I will not engage in sexual behavior.
- I will not harass or abuse individuals or objects in the Bike Collective – including verbal, physical, emotional, or sexual harassment or abuse.
- I will show respect to all volunteers and patrons at all times or I will be asked to leave.
- I understand that the shift manager may ask anyone in the shop to leave for any reason at any time.
If there is a behavior that goes against this agreement or results in others feeling unsafe or uncomfortable, this agreement provides us with something to refer to. By agreeing to a commitment of mutual respect, we hope that if a conflict does arise, we will remember what we have agreed to, and act accordingly. Misconduct should be communicated to or between the Davis Bike Collective Ministry. The Ministry will discuss the appropriate action to rectify the issue(s).